|Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time||10 minutes|
Black gram ( Skinned) : 3 cups
Semolina (Suji): 1⁄4 Cups
Green Chilies: 5-6 nos.
Coriander Leaves washed and chopped: 3 tbsps.
Curry leaves washed and chopped: 10-15 nos.
Grated ginger 1 1⁄2 inch
Grated mango ginger: 1 inch
Medium sized onions chopped: 3 nos.
Oil for deep frying: 500 grams
Salt to taste
1. Soak the black gram/ Urad Dal overnight for at least 5-6 hours
2. Drain the water and grind it coarsely into a thick batter/ dough using 3 tsp of water
3. Keep aside the batter/ dough for another couples of hour for fermentation
4. Mix the grated ginger and mango ginger, coriander leaves, curry leaves, green chilies, onions, Semolina, adding salt to the batter
5. Heat Oil in a Kadhai or Pan
6. Take some oil in palms or water to dampen the palms before making small flattened balls of the dough/ batter and make a small hole in the centre before frying
7. Fry the “Baras” until golden brown by tossing and turning time to time making sure that the Baras are not over fried, Fry on medium flame.
8. Serve with raw onion and green chilies or hot ghuguni (dry yellow peas curry)
1. Instead of using skinned black grams/ Urad dal, can use whole black gram with skin
2. Wash them properly after soaking removing the skin of black gram while washing before grinding
3. Grate the ginger just before frying.
4. Add semolina just before frying